Through Sep 03, 2015, you can get up to 35% discount when you buy AAdvantage miles. The value of the discount depends on the number of miles you purchase.
To earn the full 35% discount, you need to buy a minimum of 90,000 AAdvantage miles. You will pay $1,885.18 for 90,000 miles (after 35% discount)
If you buy 90,000 miles during this promotion, you will be buying each mile at 2.09 cents. This is also slightly higher than the previous promotion (2.008 cents/mile)
How to use AAdvantage miles for travel to India?
Etihad Airways, British Airways & Qatar Airways awards can be booked using AAdvantage miles. To travel to India on an award ticket, here is what you need.
- 45K miles for a one way economy award
- 67.5K miles for a one way Business award
- 90K miles for a one way first class award
But British Airways charges fuel surcharges, award availability with Qatar can be a challenge, especially in premium cabins. Etihad Airways tend to release good amount of award availability (even when the travel date is closer).
You can also book Cathay Pacific awards, however it needs two separate awards as per the rules of AAdvantage for travelling to India on trans-pacific routes, which means you need 57,500 miles for a one-way economy and 85,000 miles for a one-way business class award to India.
If you buy miles during this promotion, for a First class award to India, you need to buy 90,000 miles and will cost you $1885.18
for a Business class award to India, you need to buy 67,500 miles and will cost you $1,539.52
for an Economy Class award to India, you need to buy 45,o00 miles and will cost you $1,100.29 USD
It does not make sense to make buy miles for an economy award (revenue ticket earns miles and are not subject to availability)
Business class and First class awards are costlier than economy fare. But, if you already have a few miles in your AAdvantage account – the math may be in your favor.
- American Airlines will let you hold award tickets
– Hold for 5 days when you book 15 – 330 days before departure
– Hold for 1 day when you book 1 – 14 days before departure
– Hold up to 2 hours before departure when you book within 24 hours of departure
- You can hold the award ticket (if available) and then buy miles – Miles will post immediately after your payment is authorized.
- You can get 50,000 bonus AAdvantage miles through Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard and 75,000 AAdvantage miles with Citi Executive card
- If you need to travel from Los Angeles, but found an award from SFO, You can connect through American Airlines from Los Angeles to San Francisco and then on to Etihad flight for the same amount of miles.
- Miles purchase transactions are nonrefundable and nonreversible
- You cannot earn miles on award tickets.
- AAdvantage account must be at least 30 days old to buy miles
- You can only purchase a maximum of 100,000 miles in a calendar year (excluding bonus miles)
- Check round trip prices and do the math, before deciding the plan.
Through Sep 03, 2015, you can buy AA miles at a discounted price of approximately 2.09 cents/mile. To be eligible for the maximum discount 35%, you need to buy at least 90,000 miles.
You can use our free award travel booking service to find the award seats for you.
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institution