Whenever we buy Visa/MasterCard gift cards to meet minimum spends, there is always a $4-$7 purchase fee to purchase them. While this amount may be small in the grand scheme of return, it would be great if the purchase fee can be avoided.
How to avoid purchase fees for Visa/MasterCard?
It is not possible to avoid the $4-$7 purchase fees when you buy MasterCard or Visa gift cards, unless there are any rebates or promotions. But, you can get a return of the purchase fees in a gift card.
Here is how you can do it…
- BestBuy sells $200 visa gift cards with a purchase fee of $5.95
- You can enroll in My BestBuy Rewards and get 1 point for every dollar spent. You get rewards for purchasing visa gift cards as well
- You can enroll in Shopkick (This is my referral link) and earn kicks every time you visit BestBuy and/or make a purchase at BestBuy
What is Shopkick?
Shopkick acts as link between the Shoppers and retailers. Every time you visit a participating store and/or make purchases, Shopkick gets a referral from retailers and will reward you with Kicks.
Kicks is the currency of this program. You can redeem kicks for a variety of gift cards and products. 250 kicks is equivalent to $1.
You can earn kicks for visiting the store, scanning products and making a purchase. With BestBuy, you earn kicks for visiting the store and making a purchase.
You need to download the App and signup to start earning kicks. (My referral link)
Let us take an example:
If you buy 2X $200 Visa gift cards at BestBuy, you will pay a total of $11.90 in fees.
- As a My BestBuy Rewards member, you will earn 411 points – equivalent to $8.22 in BestBuy Rewards
- With Shopkick, you get 1661 kicks (1250 kicks for making a purchase of over $200 and 411 kicks for spend $411 at BestBuy) 1661 kicks is equivalent to $6.64 (250 Kicks = $1)
- For $11.90 in purchase fees, you are getting $14.86 in gift cards ($8.22 + $6.64)
Things you should know:
1. There is a limit of 2 Shopkick transactions per week per user for BestBuy purchases. If you want to make more visits in a week, create a Shopkick account (my referral link) for your spouse/friend.
2. BestBuy reward certificates can be used to purchase in-store gift cards (BestBuy sells Ebay, gas gift cards and many more)
3. You can use kicks earned from Shopkick for a variety of gift cards including Walmart, Target, Hyatt etc..
- BestBuy will issue rewards only when you have at least 250 points ($5) and you need at least 500 kicks ($2) for a reward from Shopkick.
Apple Pay & Discover Promotion:
There is a lot of talk about the 10% cashback with Discover and Apple Pay promotion.
If you want to take full advantage of the Discover & Apple Pay promotion by spending up to the limit – $10,000, you may have to consider buying gift cards. But, it is not yet confirmed, whether we will get the 10% cashback for purchasing gift cards with a Discover card using Apple Pay.
Since BestBuy is accepting Apple Pay, you could purchase Visa gift cards at BestBuy and minimize your risk with this approach if the 10% cashback is not awarded.
BestBuy Visa gift cards can be cashed out at Wal-Mart using Serve/Bluebird.
With the death of REDcard, there is no easy way to cash out the vanilla visa cards (which are widely available at Rite Aid and Walgreens, who accept Apple Pay)
When you purchase visa gift cards at BestBuy, you can get rewards greater than the purchase fee $5.95 per card. You can enroll in My BestBuy Rewards and Shopkick (My referral link) to earn rewards towards gift cards.
This approach can be useful for folks trying to maximize the 10% cashback with Discover and Apple Pay promotion, as the risk can be minimized due to zero out of pocket costs .
You can purchase visa gift cards with no fees, as long as you consider retail gift cards as a return on your purchase fees.
Disclaimer: Some of the Links mentioned in this post earns us commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institution