If you have an immediate need to plan a trip to India, you may not have enough time to apply for a credit card and meet the minimum spend requirements to get the bonus miles and book an ward ticket as this process can take at least 2 months from the day you applied to miles deposited to your frequent flyer account.
Do we have any option to get miles quickly? Yes, you should consider applying for the Bank of America Alaska Air Visa Signature Credit card.
This card offer 25,000 Alaska Air Mileage Plan miles upon account approval, so you would get your miles even before getting your card on hand. some times there are targeted offers giving you 30,000 Alaska Air Mileage Plan miles upon account approval.
You can use Alaska Air Mileage Plan miles to redeem for awards on Cathay Pacific, British Airways and Emirates for travelling to India. However, British Airways awards comes with fuel surcharges.
You need 42.5K Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles for a one way economy award from USA to India on Emirates or 72.5 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles for a one way business class award to India.
Other option would be to redeem for Cathay Pacific awards. you need 50K miles for a one way economy award from USA to India. Unlike Emirates Awards, Cathay Pacific awards cannot be booked online and must be booked by calling 1-800-252-7522.
Things you should know:
- You credit history should qualify for a minimum of $5,000 credit line to be approved for Bank of America Alaska Air Visa Signature Credit card (offers 25,000 bonus miles) otherwise, Bank of America may approve you for a Platinum Plus account (5,000 bonus miles upon approval ) or a Classic account (3,000 bonus miles upon approval)
- Bank of America Alaska Airline Visa signature card comes with an annual fee of $75.
- Even with this approach, it will take about 1 week to get your miles deposited to your Mileage Plan account. There is no guarantee that the award will still be available
- There is a $15 Nonrefundable Call Center Booking fee – for new awards booked over the phone and $25 ($12.5 for one way awards)Nonrefundable Partner Award Fee (applies to all awards using one of our airline partners)
- Bank of America does not limit the number of credit cards you can apply on a day. If your credit history is sound, you could apply for 2 Bank of America Alaska Air Visa Signature Credit card on the same day and get 2 signup bonuses (applying on the same day ensures that your credit inquiries are merged in your credit report)
- It is recommended that you apply for this card during weekdays, so you could talk to a credit analyst immediately at 866-811-4108 (8am-9pm ET Mon-Fri only) if you are denied and convince them to approve you for a Visa Signature card.
- If you apply for 2 or more cards on the same day, you should call the number mentioned above and notify that this is not a duplicate application. You may mention the reason as to track expenses separately (if asked)
- You can apply for your spouse as well if you need even more miles.
- If you still want some more miles, you could get American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Credit card. This card offers 10,000 points after first purchase and another 15,000 points after spending $5,000 or more in eligible purchases. 10,000 Starpoints will deposit immediately to your SPG account after initial purchase and can be transferred to Alaska Airline Mileage plan
- Alaska Airlines would allow stopovers on one way awards, for example you could stop in Dubai for a few days and then continue to India for the same number of miles.
- If you are not a Mileage Plan member, you should sign up before applying the card. This will avoid the possibility of multiple accounts.
Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Credit card is the fastest way to get miles for an award ticket to India. Since Bank of America does not limit the number of signup bonus, You could apply for 2 Alaska Airlines Visa Signature cards if you want more miles.
Note that Visa signature credit card has a $75 annual fee and make sure to count this when doing the math. Your credit history should be good enough for a minimum of $5,000 credit line, which is the requirement for Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Credit card
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institutions