It is often said that Starpoints are the most valuable points across all the loyalty programs. One of the reason is the versatility of the Starpoints. Starpoints can be used for reward nights in Starwood hotels, transfer to frequent flyer programs, book a flight etc..
Another great feature of the Starwood Preferred Guest is the ability to transfer Starpoints to another member of the same household as long as they share the same address for more than 30 days.
In this post, we will explain the steps involved to transfer Starpoints.
Terms & Conditions related to transfer of Starpoints to a frequent flyer programs:
- You can transfer up to 79,999 of their Starpoints per transaction per program within a 24-hour period.
- For every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, Starwood will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints.
- The name must be the same on both accounts.
- There is no minimum Starpoints transfer requirement for Platinum members with most airlines. Gold members have a minimum transfer requirement of 1,500 Starpoints, and Preferred members have a minimum transfer requirement of 2,500 Starpoints.
- Starpoints can be transferred to 31 frequent flyer programs and you could to transfer at 1:1 ratio to 28 programs.
How to transfer Starpoints to a frequent flyer program?
1. Log in to your Starwood Preferred Guest account
2. Select “Redeem Starpoints”
3. Select “Travel”
4. Select “Transfer Air Miles”
5. Select the frequent flyer program of your choice
6. Select “Complete Transfer“. Transfer times vary based on the airline, but they are not instant. This Flyertalk thread gives you data points on how long it will take based on the frequent flyer program.
How to transfer Starpoints to another Member?
Both members should share the address for at least 30 days to be eligible for sharing the points. Steps 1 & 2 mentioned above remain same for transferring the Starpoints to another member.
Step 3: Select “Other “
Step 4: Select “Give Starpoints”
Step 5: Enter SPG number of the recipient, last name and # of Starpoints to transfer
6. Confirmation of transfer. It will take approximately 5 business days to complete the transfer.
Starpoints are valuable due to the versatility and the ability to transfer to a variety of frequent flyer programs. You can transfer a maximum of 79,999 Starpoints per transaction per program within 24 hours period.
You can earn Starpoints from American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card. Right now, you get 25,000 Starpoints as a signup bonus after spending $3,000 or more in eligible purchases.
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institutions