Earlier this week ,we have seen a fantastic Amex offer – Spend $50 at Smart & Final and get $25 Statement credit (3X). These is also another Staples offer for Visa & MasterCard Gift cards starting today.
Smart & Final Carries a lot of Retail, Restaurant gift cards, but if you do not have a need to buy the retail gift cards, You could buy Visa or MasterCard Gift Cards.
Can you cash out these Visa/Master Card gift cards?
Visa/Master Card gift cards can be cashed out, provided you have all these resources and follow a few rules.
1. You need to have a American Express Prepaid card Serve or Bluebird. You can signup online for free for any one of the account (You cannot have both Bluebird and Serve). I would recommend signing up for Serve as you can use American Express Credit Cards to load Serve online
- Bluebird charges no monthly fee.
- Serve has a $1 monthly fee which can be avoided when you use Direct Deposit or add $500 or more during your monthly statement period.
- Serve and Bluebird can be loaded with debit cards at Walmart. Visa/MasterCard gift cards come with a PIN option.
2. Not all Visa/MasterCard Gift cards can be loaded to Serve or Bluebird even though they have a PIN feature. American Express gift cards cannot be loaded to Serve or Bluebird. Gift cards purchased at Smart&Final and Staples can be used to load Serve or Bluebird.
MasterCard Gift cards can also be cashed out, You can find the PIN for your MasterCard gift in the package, If you did not find a PIN, You can call this automated toll free number 866-9520563 and set up your pin.
3. You can load Serve or Bluebird at a Walmart Registers or Money Center or Money Center ATM. However, many cashiers have been objecting the use of Gift cards to load Serve or Bluebird. It is recommended to use Money Center ATM to load Serve or Bluebird.
4. Once you have Serve or Bluebird and a gift card, it is an easy process to load Serve or Bluebird at Walmart Money Center ATM.
- Select Bluebird or Walmart Money Card on the Screen
- Hit “Reload”
- Swipe your Serve or Bluebird card on the Pin Pad
- Enter the amount
- Click “finish & Pay”
- Choose “Debit”
- Swipe your Visa/MasterCard Gift card on the Pin pad and enter your PIN
- Confirm Amount
- Select “No Cashback”
- You will get a receipt once the payment is processed.
- There is a limit of $2,500 per day and $5,000 per month.
- As always, start small and make sure everything works for you, before trying in big numbers. You donot want to end up with too many gift cards in your hand.
- Not all Walmart’s have Money Center ATM. In that case, your only option is load with a cashier and hope that they do not object gift cards
- You may find that the Money Center ATM is down
You can cash out Visa/MasterCard/American Express gift cards with a Target American Express Prepaid REDcard. However, Prepaid REDcard can not be signed up online, it should be bought at a participating store in select states.
Check this post on where to find a Prepaid REDcard. DO not get confused with other Target Products.
Select Visa and MasterCard gift cards can be Cashed out at Walmart using Serve. American Express Prepaid REDcard from Target is another option.
Start small and make sure everything is working for you as expected before trying big dollars. Some Grocery stores like Albertsons sells $500 Visa Gift cards.
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institutions