Etihad Airways is one of the preferred carrier to fly from/to India. Award space is pretty reliable for travel from/to USA and I have seen instances where there are as many as 4 business class awards on a flight.
Some of the benefits with Etihad Airways
- Preclearance when travelling to USA
- Fleet includes some the most advanced Aircraft available in the market – A380 & B787
- Complimentary Chauffer service for Business class and First Class passengers (Even award tickets)
How to find award space?
Award space with Etihad Airways can be found online and you do not need to have an account with Etihad Guest.
Step 1: Follow this link and enter the origin and destination
Step 2: Find the availability
If you are planning to book with Etihad Guest miles, you can find more awards at different levels of redemption. In the above example, you only have 1 Guest Seat, but 4 Open seats that can be redeemed with more Etihad Guest miles.
But for redemptions with AAdvantage miles, ignore the miles and prices shown in the Etihad website as American Airlines uses a different zone based award chart (See below)
You are only able to redeem AAdvantage miles for “Guest seats” with Etihad Airways, and these awards cannot be booked online. Starting Feb-03-2015, American has eliminated the phone booking fees for awards that cannot be booked online. you may pay around $50-60 towards taxes and fees
Etihad Airways awards can be booked with AAdvantage miles (American). You can book an award to any location Etihad operates using AAdvantage miles (Need not be from/to USA). Once you confirm that there is “Guest Seat” availability for a specific award, you can call AAdvantage at 800-882-8880 and book the ticket.
- Note that AAdvantage can also search the availability, but it would be efficient if you know the date upfront
- AAdvantage will let you hold an award for 5 days (free of cost). This is a great feature to finalize your plan
- AAdvantage lets you change the date without any fee as along as origin and destination does not change
Right now, there are two great credit card offers to earn up to 100,000 AAdvantage miles.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 or more in eligible purchases.
- No Annual fee for the first 12 months, then $95 and many more..
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after first purchase and payment of $89 Annual fee (not waived for first year)
- No Foreign transaction fee
- Companion certificate
Redeeming AAdvantage miles for Business/First class award tickets with Etihad Airways is one of the great ways to travel from/to India. You just need 67,500 miles for a one way business class award from India to USA.
If you hold Citi/ AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard, you also get back 10% of the redeemed miles (up to 10,000 miles)
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institutions.