Through 06/30.2015, You can get 30,000 AAdvantage miles for opening a new Citigold checking account. You need to do Bill Pay for 2 consecutive months and spend $750 or more on your debit card.
However, Citigold account has a $30 monthly fee unless you maintain a high balance and 30,000 bonus AAdvantage miles will be deposited within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you complete all offer requirements.
Here is a timeline of our experience from the day of opening to receiving the miles.
- We completed the spending by loading Serve with our Citi Debit card.
- You can notice that it took approximately 3 months from the day all the requirements are met. It could have been sooner, if the incorrect offer “Member Get Member” had not been assigned. Citi was unable to explain the reason for the error, but I think this error happened as this account was opened through a referral. If you are existing Citi banking customer, You can get $100 referral bonus for every new Citi gold account referral.
- There is no fee for the first 2 months. However, we were not charged any fees for the 3rd month (I expect the fee on the upcoming statement), we may have got the fee waiver for the 3 month.
- We earned 3,900 ThankYou points for the Citigold checking account. (975 per month – Direct Deposit, Bill pay, Auto save )
- After notifying Citi about the incorrect offer assigned, we got the miles in less than a week.
- We can now downgrade the account to avoid the monthly fee and still keep the 30,000 AAdvantage miles.
Through June 30, 2015, you can get 30,000 AAdvantage miles for opening a new Citigold checking account and spending $750 or more with your debit card and Bill pay for 2 consecutive months.
We have received the 30,000 miles in approximately 3 months after meeting the spend requirements. It could have been sooner, if we did not get a incorrect promotion.
You may consider Citi AAdvantage Platinum card for an additional 50,000 miles. 80,000 is enough for a one way business class to India (67,500 miles for a one way AAdvantage award) and a one way economy saver award in domestic USA.
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institutions