Through Feb 08, 2017, You can get up to 40% bonus when you buy Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles. You can buy a maximum of 60,000 miles per transaction, which means you will get 84,000 miles per transaction.
Alaska Airlines does not limit the number of transactions per member and there is no cap on the number of miles you can purchase.
This a tier based promotion, meaning you have to buy a minimum of 15,000 miles to get 40% bonus.
Normally, it will cost $1,773.75 to buy 60,000 miles (2.95 cents/mile), but under the current promotion you can get 84,000 miles for $1,773.75 (2.11 cents/mile)
There is no limit to the number of miles you can buy in a year, but each transaction is limited to a maximum of 60,000 miles in the increment of 1,000 miles .
How can you maximize the promotion?
If your travel dates are flexible, you can buy Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles under this promotion and redeem for a First Class award ticket with Cathay Pacific to India.
You need 70,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles for a One-way First Class award with Cathay Pacific from North America to India.
You can buy 70,000 miles under this promotion for $1478.13, enough for a one way first class ticket between North America and India on Cathay Pacific along with a free stopover in Hong Kong
If you are short of Alaska Mileage plan miles you can consider applying for Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Credit Card for a 25,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles.
Things you should know
1. This trick will work better if your travel dates are flexible (if you are inviting your parents from India, you may probably have flexibility with the date)
2. You can have one stop over on your way to India. If you choose to redeem for Cathay Pacific award, you can have a free stopover in Hong Kong or in Dubai if traveling with Emirates
4. This trick may be expensive compared to an Economy ticket paid with money. You should look at it as small premium to upgrade yourself to business/first class.
5. The possibility of finding more than 2 seats in Business or first class on the same flight may be challenging, especially if the travel date is sooner. You can use our complimentary Award booking service to find award seats
6. This transaction is processed through Points.com, hence it will not count as travel purchase.
Through Feb 08, 2017; Alaska Airlines is offering up to 40% bonus when you buy Alaska miles. This promotion can be put to great use if you redeem for a Cathay Pacific awards – which have been a little challenging in the recent past.
You can also redeem Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles with Emirates, British Airways and Japan Airlines.
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institutions