Through Jan 30, 2017, you can get up to 50% bonus miles when you buy AA miles. The number of bonus miles depends on the number of miles you purchase.
To earn the full 50% bonus miles, you need to buy a minimum of 100,000 AAdvantage miles. You will pay $3,201.25 for 150,000 miles (includes 50,000 bonus miles ) This equates to about 2.13 cents/mile.
In the past, there were better promotions offering AA miles for as low as 1.8 cents/mile.
so 2.13 cents/mile is not a great value. It may make sense if you want to buy miles for a business class/first class award.
How to use AAdvantage miles for travel to India?
Etihad Airways, British Airways, Cathay Pacific & Qatar Airways awards can be booked using AAdvantage miles. To travel to India on an award ticket, here is what you need.
- 40K miles for a one way economy award
- 70K miles for a one way Business award
- 115K miles for a one way first class award
But British Airways adds fuel surcharges, award availability with Qatar can be a challenge, especially in premium cabins in the near future. Etihad Airways tend to release good amount of award availability (even when the travel date is closer).
- American Airlines will let you hold award tickets
- Hold for 5 days when you book 15 – 330 days before departure
- Hold for 1 day when you book 1 – 14 days before departure
- Hold up to 2 hours before departure when you book within 24 hours of departure
- You can hold the award ticket (if available) and then buy miles – Miles will post immediately after your payment is authorized.
- You can get 50,000 bonus AAdvantage miles through Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard, 50,000 AAdvantage miles with Citi Executive card
- If you need to travel from Los Angeles, but found an award from SFO, You can connect through American Airlines from Los Angeles to San Francisco and then on to Etihad flight for the same amount of miles.
- Miles purchase transactions are nonrefundable and non reversible
- You cannot earn miles on award tickets.
- AAdvantage account must be at least 30 days old to buy miles
- You can only purchase a maximum of 150,000 miles in a calendar year
- Check round trip prices and do the math, before deciding the plan.
- Include the taxes & fees in your evaluation. A round trip award to India would cost you approximately $60 USD for an award ticket with Etihad. (BA taxes & fees are higher)
Through Jan 30, 2017, you can get up to 50% bonus miles when you buy AA miles. You need to purchase the minimum of 100,000 miles for 50% bonus miles.
If you plan to buy miles during this promotion, do make sure to have a plan to redeem them in the near future.
You can use our complimentary award travel booking service to find the award seats for you.
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institution