We just mentioned about the opportunity to earn 50,000 AAdvantage Miles when you open a new Citigold Checking Account.
Citibank has another offer if you prefer ThankYou points, You can get 50,000 ThankYou Points for opening a new Citigold checking account
Here are the details
Promo Code: 42ERCZ42PY
No Direct deposit required
Citigold checking account comes with a monthly fee of $30. (Waived for the first 2 months)
Should apply before Dec 31, 2015.
No hard inquiry on your credit report
Within 60 days of opening the account, perform 1 or more bill payments for 2 consecutive calendar months to a non-Citi account (paying your Citi credit card will not count towards the promotion)
You must have an existing ThankYou points account linked to a ThankYou credit card. In other words, you must have one of the following cards.
Things you should know:
- 50,000 ThankYou points will post within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you complete all offer requirements, which means it can be 5 months from the day your account is opened.
- Unlike the 50,000 AA Miles offer, Citi specifically mentions that you could get 1099-MISC if your annual earnings from banking products is over $600. This also includes the monthly ThankYou points you can earn for having a Citigold account.
- You may end up paying account maintenance fee of $30/month for 3 months ($90 total) before you get the 50,000 ThankYou points. ($500 in gift cards)
- ThankYou points earned from banking products are considered as taxable and cannot be transfer to Citi Transfer partners.
- It would be better to open the account in a branch, as the banker will usually help you with any delay in getting points.
- Citi gold account comes with a monthly fee of $30, this fee can be waived by maintaining a $50,000 account balance, which is not practical for most people. If you get a helpful banker/CSR, you may be able to get another month free on top of the 2 months.
- I would recommend opening the account during the second half of the month. You can complete the bill pay requirements in Oct 2015 and Nov 2015 and $1,000 debit card purchases by second week of Nov 2015. This means you have completed the requirements within a month of opening the account.
- As soon as you complete the requirements, contact the banker who helped you open the account and notify that you finished the requirements.
- Citi also offers ThankYou points for Citigold accounts, you could earn up to 1600 points per month. Make sure to set up Auto Save and set up a direct deposit if possible.
- As soon as you get the miles in your account, Call Citi and request a downgrade of your account to Basic Banking (fees can be avoided with a direct deposit)
- Another advantage of the going for the Citigold relationship – you can get a lower annual fee of $350 for Citi Prestige card.
Through 12/31/2015, Citi is offering 50,000 ThankYou Points for opening a new Citigold checking account. Citigold checking account is the premium banking product offered by Citi and comes with several benefits. This promotion equates to 50,000 ThankYou Points for $90, which is an excellent value.
To qualify for this promotion, you need to open your account before Dec 31,2015 and must hold one of the ThankYou Credit Card holder.
Disclaimer: Links mentioned in this post do not earn us any commission.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analysis and any calculations shown are authors alone. Information in this post is not reviewed, approved and endorsed by any airlines, frequent flyer programs or financial institutions